Note: the instructions in this article refer specifically to Turboweb's original website dashboard. If yours looks different to this you may have our new, improved website dashboard. If you need any help with updating this, give us a call - we'll happily walk you through it.
Every one of the websites we make has the option to have image banners on the homepage. They are a great way to showcase a single or selection of images to visitors.
The size of your banner is usually dependent on the design and width of your website. Some banners span across the whole page, while others only take up a smaller portion.
No matter the design and layout of your website it is easy to add, remove, and swap out banner images.
What else can the banner do?
The banner can be informative like K9MD's. There is no rule saying your banner must be just a photo, but it is a good idea to keep in mind the design of your website.
You can advertise items on your website or introduce upcoming events like Gallery de Novo. Here they have also added a link to some of their banner images to take you to the relevant places on their website.
Uploading a banner image is easy, just follow these tips.
- When you first click on the Banner module you are given the option to create a new banner on a different page or edit an existing one. If you want to edit a page’s banner (e.g. your homepage banner) click the edit icon. The edit icon looks like a wee pencil on a sheet of paper.
- This will take you to the list of images you have for this banner. You might only have one image here, or you could have a few. You can add a banner image by clicking ‘Add Banner’, or unpublish existing ones by clicking the edit icon.
- There are two separate ways to manage banners – the default option and the advanced option. With the default option, you need to make sure your banner has the right dimensions before you upload. The advanced option allows you to upload a banner of different dimensions and then crop to the right size after. Feel free to ask us if you need more information.
- When uploading your banner, you’ll need the following: a banner title (for your records) and the image. The image needs to be quite large, otherwise, it could look blurry on larger monitors. Aim for an image that’s at least 1920 pixels wide. To check the size of your image on Windows 10 first open the image in the Windows Photos application, then click the three dots in the top right corner of the window. In the drop-down choose ‘File information’. On the left-hand side look for ‘Dimensions’. This is width x height, so you’ll want a number that looks something like 1920x800. If you’re unsure just give us a call and we’ll be more than happy to give you advice.
- There are two other options you can fill out when uploading your banner. The description field, and the ‘Target URL’. The description will show underneath your banner, so if you have a cool shot of somewhere you can write where the photo was taken in the description. The ‘Target URL’ allows you to put a link in the banner so you can link to various places on your website. This could include a link to an event, a product or service, or a news item.
- As always, remember to publish once you are done, and always save your changes.