To create a website or launch an online business, you’ll need to follow these four basic steps to get up and running.
1. Register your domain name
Your customers will probably expect your domain name to be similar to your business name. Your domain name should reflect your products and services so that your customers can easily find your business through the likes of Google or Bing (search engines).
Your domain name can also be used for your email address. Sending an email from an address that isn’t domain-based tends to look a little less professional. Read more about having your own domain on our article: 7 ways having your own professionally designed website pays for itself.
2. Find a website hosting company to get your domain name on the internet.
Turboweb offers website hosting and provides you with multiple email addresses. We can get your email all set-up for you on multiple devices too and recommend Microsoft Office 365. Monthly fees depend on how big your email is.
3. Prepare your website content
Think about what you want your customers to be able to do via your website. Do you want people to be able to buy products off your website? Or do you provide services or accommodation and want people to contact you for more information? Think about how your website could make it easier for your customers and you to run your business. Having quality content on your website can be a make or break thing when it comes to getting your customers across the line, so don't scrimp on it.
Consider what information or transactions you will want your website able to do and make sure it’s super easy for your customers to find and do the things they want to do on your website. Just as you can get Turboweb to help with your website design, Turboweb can also work with you on your website content. A website that is designed well and easy for your customers to use will put you ahead of the pack.
Having relevant content that applies to your customers will help customers understand your products and services and will make them feel comfortable with buying from your business. It helps build trust in your website and brand, which is a big part of having a successful online business.
4. Build your website
You can build your own website, there are lots of platforms out there, or you can get a website built by professional website developers – like the team here at Turboweb. There are a few advantages to not going down the DIY route.
Having professionals build your website and help with the content is a good idea if you’re new to the online business. We can provide you with guidance on successful website design and content. We certainly recommend partnering with professionals if you’re offering an online shop or other services through your website.
Your website needs to work well on smartphones and other devices like tablets or iPads. A growing number of people are browsing the internet on their phones and tablets, so your site needs to work well and be quick to load while they’re out and about.
Our top six tips for creating a successful website:
- Think about what your customers want to know, not just what you want to tell them.
- An unprofessional website can potentially put customers off, use the professionals to help you make a good first impression.
- A website is not a set-and-forget thing. Update it regularly. If you sell products, check the pricing on a regular basis.
- Make sure your contact information is easy for your customers to find and correct.
- Get your website out there. Promote your website online and offline. Share it on social media, pop it on your email signature, car wrap, business cards and marketing material.
- Get some professional search engine optimisation (SEO). This means make your website easy to find on search engines like Google. Turboweb can help you with SEO for your website.
Discover more about website copywriting.
Find out why we recommend paying for a website domain name in, ‘Why pay for a website when you can get one for free?’
Want to know more? Get in touch with us.